Car accident in NYC: Circumstances for hiring an attorney
Auto accidents are not rare on NYC roads. In fact, more than 2,00,000 accidents are reported every year. On-road mishaps often leave a trail of destruction behind. Following a car accident, you may want to know whether you have a valid claim and how you can seek compensation for your losses. If you want a free consultation with a local attorney, you can click here. Below are some circumstances when hiring an attorney becomes extremely necessary.
- You have suffered a serious injury. New York is a no-fault state. It means that you can only sue the at-fault party in limited circumstances. If you have suffered an injury that’s likely to change your life or how you work or find employment, you should talk to an accident lawyer. Serious injuries can lead to devastating consequences, and an attorney can help fight your battle.
- There is no clarity on fault. It is common for drivers to blame one another after an accident, and in some cases, proving fault or liability is not easy. If you think there is no clarity on how the mishap happened, hiring a lawyer is a good idea as attorneys know what it takes to investigate a case.
- Your claim was denied. Insurance companies don’t see victims or their losses. For these big corporate giants, compensation equals loss, and the insurance adjusters are trained for the job of negotiation. People often don’t take action when their claim is denied because they don’t know their legal options. Contact a lawyer immediately in such a situation.
- You have a share in the fault. NY is a pure comparative fault state for car accidents. If you have a valid claim against the other party, you can file a lawsuit, even if you have a share in the blame. However, your fault share would determine the final duysnews settlement. The other party will want to use your negligence against you, and it is wise to have an attorney next to you.
- There is more than one party at fault. If the accident involved a truck, there could be multiple parties responsible for your losses. In such cases, even people with a basic understanding of legalese have a hard time determining liability and taking the case ahead. Talk to an attorney to know what you can possibly do to present your interests.
Attorneys can help you get a higher settlement and take your car accident case to trial.